This week Deezer Close Up has invited Seal, the talented British soul and R&B singer, famous for his international hit ‘Kiss From A Rose’, to learn more about his new album 7, which we exclusively listened to at the Deezer offices recently. We also find out about the musicians that inspire him, including Radiohead, Queen “whose songs are really hard to sing” and the legendary Marvin Gaye.
1. So, you have a broad musical background – We know you’ve been in both a funk band and blues band. Are you still influenced by these genres?
Yes, I think there is an old adage – if you want to sing the blues, you have to pay your dues and I think that the blues genre is one that you really can’t avoid. The blues is still a still a huge influence in my music.
2. Would you ever experiment with one of these genres again?
Well, I think I’m always experimenting with different genres. It’s not a conscious decision to do something in a certain genre but it’s either in you or it isn’t.
3. What’s the most valuable thing you’ve learned on your path through music/life?
To always come from the heart.
4. What advice would you give to the 18 year old you?
Enjoy it more.
5. You seem to be a man who was made for a suit, why hasn’t Hollywood contacted you to play James Bond in an upcoming 007 film?
I’m still waiting!
1. Where do you find inspiration for your music/what are your most important sources of inspiration?
From life. Life in general.
2. What are you currently listening to?
Sufjan Stevens, Julio Bashmore, TV on the Radio.
3. What songs/albums mean something special to you and why?
Stevie Wonder/Innervisions & Songs in the Key of Live; Joni Mitchell/Hejira; Jimi Hendrix/Axis: Bold as Love.
When you’re done watching Close Up be sure to check out Seal’s new album on Deezer!